Private Surf Lessons on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu
Why Choose Private Surfing Lessons with Big Wave Dave
Learn how to surf in Oahu. Big Wave Dave's private surfing lessons are for anyone who wants to start surfing fast. Nothing beats one-on one-instruction to help quickly master the techniques needed to take on the legendary Hawaiian surf.
Semi-Private Surfing Lessons in Honolulu
Learn how to surf on Waikiki Beach for less. Semi-private surfing lessons are great for two people who want to learn to surf together with a private instructor - especially for couples and friends.
Note: Must have a minimum of two people in your party to make a semi-private reservation.
Ten daily surf lesson times to choose from everyday:
Big Wave Dave's Private Surf Lesson Rates
- Semi-Private Surfing Lesson: $119 per person
- Private Surfing Lesson: $149 per person
Please contact us for corporate rates/discounts.
Answers to Common Questions about Private Surfing Lessons in Waikiki
- Lessons are 1.5 hours long.
- All surf lessons will include extensive land training and surf ethics.
- We provide everything you need - surfboard, leash, and instructor. You bring your swimsuit, sunblock and a positive attitude.
- We use soft-top boards for our surf lessons.
- Fiberglass/Epoxy boards are available for the experienced surfer.
- We are experienced with special needs student, please let us know at the time of your booking.
- Lessons are available year round. Every day in Oahu is great surfing weather!
- Reservations are required; space is limited, so please book in advance.
- Surf Photos and Video Packages available.
- Corporate groups, school organizations, team building retreats, organized outings welcome.
- Discounts offered for “Honeymoon” lessons.
Discover Surfing in Waikiki
We teach children 4* years old and up and adults of all ages the fundamentals of surfing, ocean safety, and Hawaiian culture through safe and easy techniques that are proven to work.
We will choose the best location for you to learn on the day of your surf lesson. The ocean can be inconsistent and crowded, and the waves differ at each location from day to day. With so many beautiful ocean spots to choose from on Oahu, Big Wave Dave will find the right spot for you to catch the best waves for your surf experience and comfort level.
Your first surfing lesson starts with a 20-minute land lesson where students learn proper water safety and etiquette, paddling technique, turning the surfboard, maneuvering over waves and positioning to stand up and ride your first wave. The rest of the time, about an hour to an hour and a half, is spent in the water learning to stand up and ride waves.
* Children ages 4-6 are welcome to join their family and friends for lessons, however, they are required to pay a difference to receive a private instructor. Young children are much safe riding tandem on a board with an instrucor or side by side on two boards. Safely is always the priority.
Private Beginner Surf Lesson:
Beginner surfers will learn to surf in an atmosphere of fun and understanding through the promotion of proper surfing form, technique and etiquette. They will learn about water safety, ocean awareness and wave conditions. You will catch your first waves as a surfer in warm Hawaiian waters.
Typical Private Surf Lesson Plan
First 20 min: (On land)
- Watch the ocean and the waves together and talk about ocean safety.
- Give instruction on how to paddle and position yourself on the board.
- Teach you how to read the waves.
- Time to get wet! You will paddle out to where the waves are breaking, with your instructor by your side to help you and guide you the whole time.
- We will get you out in the ocean and help you learn to stand up.
- We will work on correct wave etiquette, style and technique.
- Talk with you about the world of surfing, some basic rules of surfing, and answer questions.
- After that, use our board and practice on your own.
Private Intermediate / Advanced Surf Lesson
For more advanced students, the surf instructor will choose the surf spot with the best conditions for your skill level, then tell you all about the particular aspects of that break. Once you paddle out together, he will help you improve your wave judgment and surfing techniques by observing, giving you pointers and tips on new maneuvers.